When tooth decay or damage strikes, tooth fillings are the eponymous hero that saves your teeth from further damage. But because cavity filling is a standard procedure, most patients aren’t bothered with the materials used. However, at Montclair Dental Care, we value your health, and that’s why we use medical-grade materials to restore your smile. While cavity fillings can be created from a mixture of metals, we prefer composite fillings for the reasons below.
- Esthetically appealing: Today, you no longer have to show the world your metal-filled smile after a cavity treatment. Composite (white) fillings are natural-looking, blending perfectly with the unaltered tooth and the surrounding teeth. Once installed by Dr. Kenneth Childers, no one will ever tell you had tooth decay or damage.
- Safe for patients allergic to metal: Composite fillings are made from powdered glass and acrylic resin. These materials are biocompatible and don’t irritate your oral structures if you have a history of metal allergy.
- Conservative: When filling out your tooth with a white filling, we only drill a small amount of your tooth. Preserving much of the tooth’s structure retains its strength and durability.
- Safety: Amalgam dental fillings are deemed unsafe for two reasons. First, they change in size when exposed to thermal stresses, weakening your tooth over time. Secondly, they are known to leak mercury vapors into your body. Composite fillings don’t have any of these drawbacks. They are adequately insulated to resist pressure from temperature changes. Plus, they are made from health-friendly materials known to cause no harm to your body.
- Durable: Tooth-colored fillings aren’t made from metal, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t durable. White fillings can protect your teeth for over ten years. There is one major caveat: the mileage of your fillings depends on how well you take care of your dental health. Be sure to complement your home care with routine dental checkups.
Do you have decayed or damaged teeth? The earlier the treatment, the less extensive the treatment required is down the road. If you have tooth damage or decay in Oakland, California, please dial (510) 328-7792 to reserve an appointment with Montclair Dental Care for natural-looking dental fillings.
Share this Article